Best SandalsSTORY BY ERICA SAGON + PHOTOS BY CHRIS WHONSETLER
AT EVERY HEIGHT.
Whether you like comfy flats, sky-high heels or something in between, we guarantee that there’s something for everyone in our roundup of the cutest sandals for summer. Ankle straps, punches of color, mini-wedges—all of the season’s best looks are right here. Step right up!
- Alfani “Niko” mini wedges, $69 at Macy’s
- Merona “Edda” cork wedges, $22.99 at Target
- “Harriet” patent mini-wedges, $69.99 at Nine West Outlet
PUT IT IN NEUTRAL
Muted metallics and soft nudes are versatile, sure, but also downright chic. Neutral sandals are the best choice for pairing with colorful prints, since they won’t add clutter to your outfit.
- High heel Retro, with a heel you can walk in comfortably. “Milania” ankle-strap heels, $120 at Banana Republic
- Medium heel. We’re smitten with mini-wedges. Alfani “Victoria” mini-wedge, $69 at Macy’s
- Low heel. A smidge bohemian, yet ultimately polished. Cole Haan “Nassau” ankle-strap flats, $148 at Macy’s
- Mossimo cinched-waist dress, $24.99 at Target
- Shimmer stone necklace, $58 at Ann Taylor
- L.L. Bean Signature saltwash canvas tote, $65 at LLBean.com
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE
With so many cute, colorful sandals to consider, how do you even begin to choose? First, narrow the field — decide on a heel height that suits you best. Then look for your favorite hue within that height. A punch of color is especially chic with a black-and-white print dress (we all have one, right?).
- High heel. Buy them for vacation, wear them every weekend after. Style&Co. “Mary” platform wedges, $59 at Macy’s
- Medium heel. A bit of gold is a luxe detail you’ll love. Alfani “Niko” mini-wedges, $69 at Macy’s
- Low heel. Grassy-green patent is irresistible for summer. “Cade” braided patent flats, $89.50 at Talbots
- Maxi dress, $99.99 at Ann Taylor Factory Store
- Hive & Honey two-link drop earrings, $20 at Piperlime.com
- Canvas ombre tote, $19.99 at Target
Sculptural, textured and minimal are the three big themes for straps this summer. Here’s what to look for. Sculptural: Twists and turns that stop just short of the ankle. Textured: Interlocking braids, snakeskin and gold hardware. Minimal: As spare as one strap around the ankle and another across the toes (essentially, the opposite of those super-strappy gladiator sandals of seasons past).
- High. Say yes to a sky-high wedge with sculptural straps. “Entertain” cork wedges, $69.99 at Nine West Outlet
- Medium. Minimalist, with a casual espadrille-wrapped wedge. Cole Haan “Elizabeth” espadrille wedges, $178 at Macy’s
- Low. These flats magically go with every color. Merona “Emily” braided flats, $15 at Target