Tips + Styling by Beth Divine | Photos by Chris Whonsetler
Slip into something more revealing. Tis the season to show off your toes’ favorite shade of polish. What’s new in casual sandals, pretty heels and easy-to-wear wedges will take you anywhere the warm weather lures you — lake house, wedding, backyard BBQ — you name it! We promise there’s a shoe or two just for you.
For dressy events, go high. A neutral patent leather has staying power for seasons to come. For a statement shoe, dress like a lady in a print dripping with flowers, or rally your sexy side in bright blue suede.
- Nude-pink stilettos pair with dresses, jumpsuits or a silky pants outfit. Michael Kors, $135, Macy’s
- Accessorize floral, pastel and white summer dresses with flower-packed heels. Chinese Laundry, $89, Macy’s
- Trend alert: suede, lace-up sandals! Vince Camuto gladiator sandal in Riviera, $129 at Macy’s
Beach sandals should be easy to take on and off, able to get wet, and bump up the style of your swimsuit/coverup ensemble. Wear them later with casual dresses, pants and shorts.
- This pretty pair won’t absorb water at the beach or pool so they stay minty fresh. Jack Rogers Georgica Jelly, $50, Von Maur
- These tredy suede sandals in a light neutral color gives a Boho vibe to summer casual clothing. Report Latte Fringe, $40 at Von Maur.
- Sporty, go-everywhere slides work for just about any casual summer activity. Michael Kors, $49, Macy’s
Keep your favorite low soles on the soulful side. Metal accents, bright color or a little bling do the trick. These are perfect with maxi dresses, summer pants and white jeans.
- You can have it all with these comfortable, on-trend flip-flops. Giani Bernini Racchel sandals in New Coral, $59.50 at Macy’s
- The Italian Shoemakers Broseley Crystal Sandal brings new meaning to the flip flop with sparkle and elegance. $59 at Von Maur.
- A bold gold leaf embellishment makes these jewelry for your feet. Carlos by Carlos Santana Laverne sandal in Kork, $59, Macy’s
For you nonbelievers, let us affirm: wedges with an ankle strap can be a more comfortable alternative to stilettos when you need to dress up on a hot day. Espadrilles — think cotton or burlap — look better with casual dresses, jeans, pants or shorts, while cork wedges can be more readily dressed up.
- This white wedge keeps it light and bright with gold studs. Sofft Cassie sandal, $100, Von Maur
- Get wrapped up in tall espadrilles. Wear them all summer and into early fall. Roxy espadrille, $59, Von Maur
- The snakeskin pattern and white “sneaker” sole make this shoe a winner. Nine West Gronigen sandal, $99, Von Maur